Our church first started life meeting in a Tin hut under the name of Fishersgate
Congregational Church in 1875, due to lack of room it spread to a Barge in Shoreham
Harbour. 28 years later a more permanent meeting place was built in St. Aubyns Road,
which we use today as our Church Hall.
The Sanctuary that you see today was purchased and opened in 1932 under the name
of Portslade & West Hove Congregational Church.
1972 saw the union of the Congregational Church of England & Wales with the Presbyterian
Church of England forming the United Reformed Church. Our Church from then on became
known as Portslade United Reformed Church and in 1984 we celebrated our Centenary
In 1994 we started our outreach into the local community by purchasing 52 Station
Road from Bakers & Son Funeral Directors, refurbishing the premises and connecting
it to the Church. From here on many groups met during the week and from 2001 The
Brighton Hove & District Battallion of The Boys’ Brigade tranferred their headquaters
from their old building in Brighton to ‘52’, Kidz Klub set up their Registered Office
in ‘52’ (also in 2001 we refirbished the sanctuary by replacing the old pews with
chairs) and in 2009 Off The Fence setup their Women’s Outreach Centre in partnership